Revealed: The World’s Best Vineyards 2020
Everybody loves a good list, especially if it involves wine! And we love it when some of our favourites make the global stage. The new list of World’s Best Vineyards 2020 has been unveiled and on it are some of the best Italian Wineries.
How do they choose the global top fifty wineries?
First of all, wine quality! This is absolutely essential. Other factors include; a beautiful tasting room, an ancient or a modern wine cellar, the presence of a restaurant (or a Michelin-starred one), the way the winery is run (i.e. is it a well-known brand or a small family business), the interaction with art – a combination that is gaining greater appreciation – and the experiential offer from a tourism point of view.
Who made the list?
Top spot has been won by Zuccardi Valle de Uco winery located in the Uco Valley, Argentina. Some of our favourites are also included.
Robert Mondavi Winery in the Napa Valley has qualified at fifth place, Quinta do Crasto in Douro, Portugal came in at eighth place, Rippon New Zealand the thirteenth, and Ceretto Wine Estate from Piedmont, Italy the twenty-first followed by Penfolds Magill Estate, one of Australia’s oldest wineries, which was awarded the twenty-fourth spot.
Ceretto Wine Estate is a longstanding member of The Grand Wine Tour Association, our fantastic partner who is renowned for prividng the best wine experiences across 7 regions of Italy. It is located in the Langhe region, the legendary Barolo and Barbaresco wine production area, and it is included the option 1 of our competition “Win a 3-day Gourmet VIP food & wine tour in Italy”.
Ceretto Wine Estate offers visiters a stunning design atop the rolling Piedmont hills as well as a spectacular dining experience at their typical restaurant “La Piola”, as well as their three-Michelin stars restaurant “Piazza Duomo”. Both are located in the elegant centre of Alba, the capital of white truffle.
Ceretto wine production is excellent, starting from their renowned Blangé, a lightly sparkling fruity white wine made with a local grape named Arneis, and perfect for an aperitif. They also offer Dolcetto and Barbera, indigenous red wine varieties, as well as Barbaresco and Barolo, respectively the queen and king of Piedmont wines.
The Ceretto family is also involved in art and design, commissioning artist Anselm Kiefer to design The Artist’s House, a beautiful old farmhouse, located among their vineyards, which is used for cooking classes, private dinners or as suite for those guests who wants to be inspired by the stunning surroundings. It has been frequented by the likes of Marina Abramovic, Kiki Smith, James Brown, Francesco Clemente, Miquel Barceló and Gary Hume – all world-renowned artists.
Experience Ceretto Winery yourself as part of our Piedmont prize itinerary.
Simply enter our competition here for your chance to win!
The full list of winners…
Just because we know you’re curious, here is the full list of the top wineries:
- Zuccardi Valle de Uco (Argentina)
- Bodega Garzón (Uruguay)
- Domäne Wachau (Austria)
- Montes (Chile)
- Robert Mondavi Winery (United States)
- Bodegas de los Herederos del Marqués de Riscal (Spain)
- Château Smith Haut Lafitte (France)
- Quinta do Crasto (Portugal)
- Antinori nel Chianti Classico (Italy)
- VIK Winery (Chile)
- Catena Zapata (Argentina)
- Fürst von Metternich-Winneburg’sche Domäne Schloss Johannisberg (Germany)
- Rippon (New Zealand)
- Delaire Graff Estate (South Africa)
- Weingut Dr. Loosen (Germany)
- Ridge Vineyards Monte Bello (United States)
- Craggy Range (New Zealand)
- González Byass – Bodega Tio Pepe (Spain)
- Château Pichon Baron (France)
- Opus One Winery (United States)
- Ceretto (Italy)
- CHÂTEAU MARGAUX (France)
- Bodegas Salentein (Argentina)
- Penfolds Magill Estate (Australia)
- Henschke (Australia)
- Bodega Bouza (Uruguay)
- Clos Apalta (Chile)
- Champagne Taittinger (France)
- Champagne Billecart-Salmon (France)
- Château Mercian Mariko Winery (Japan)
- Château d’Yquem (France)
- Bodegas RE (Chile)
- Château Mouton Rothschild (France)
- d’Arenberg (Australia)
- Viña Errázuriz (Chile)
- GAJA (Italy)
- DOMAINE SIGALAS SA (Greece)
- Château Oumsiyat (Lebanon)
- Wine Cellar Villa Melnik (Bulgaria)
- Viña Casas del Bosque (Chile)
- BODEGAS VIVANCO (Spain)
- Familia Torres (Spain)
- VIU MANENT (Chile)
- Maison Ruinart (France)
- Domaine Marcel Deiss (France)
- KRSMA Estates (India)
- Stag’s Leap Wine Cellars (United States)
- Château Heritage (Lebanon)
- Quinta do Noval (Portugal)
- Trapiche (Argentina).