Insider tips on staying in Monopoli
Monopoli is located on the Adriatic coast of Puglia. It offers beautiful beaches and crystal-clear water for swimming, sunbathing, and water sports. Rich in history and cultural heritage, and delicious local foods, Monopoli is a perfect place for you to stay and unwind after a busy Puglia itinerary.
Here are our insider tips on staying in Monopoli:
Beautiful beaches & outdoor activities
Located on the Adriatic coast, offering beautiful beaches and crystal-clear water for swimming, sunbathing, and water sports. Other outdoor activities such as kayaking, fishing, snorkelling and scuba diving, are also popular and a great way to relax. Monopoli is also a perfect destination for those who love hiking, cycling and bird watching. You can explore the beautiful landscapes of the region and discover hidden gems.
Some of the most popular beaches in Monopoli include:
- Cala Porto Beach: This beach is located in the heart of the old town and is known for its clear waters and fine sand.
- Cala Incina Beach & Cala Paura Beach: These are small and secluded beaches with crystal clear waters, and are great places for swimming and snorkelling.
- Cala San Giovanni Beach: This is a long beach with crystal clear waters, it’s a great place for swimming and sunbathing.
Rich history and culture
Monopoli is home to a well-preserved Old Town. The town centre is surrounded by ancient walls and fortifications, and visitors can enjoy a stroll along the sea walls for beautiful views of the sea. The Old Town hosts narrow streets, historic churches, and an impressive castle. With a rich architectural heritage, many buildings dating back to the 16th century, and the town is surrounded by ancient walls and fortifications.
Art lovers will find that Monopoli has a vibrant art scene. It is home to many art galleries, museums and exhibitions showcasing local and international artists. The town also has a vibrant nightlife scene, with many bars and clubs to choose from.
Delicious local cuisine
Monopoli is known for its delicious local cuisine, which is heavily influenced by Mediterranean flavours and ingredients. Visitors can enjoy traditional dishes such as orecchiette pasta with turnip greens, or a platter of local cheeses and cured meats.
Some insider restaurant recommendations include:
- Trattoria La Locanda dei Mercanti: A well-known restaurant in Monopoli, Puglia. It’s located in the old town and serves traditional Puglian cuisine with a modern twist. The restaurant is known for its fresh seafood and homemade pasta dishes. It has a casual and rustic atmosphere, with exposed brick walls and a cozy interior. The price range is moderate-high, with most dishes costing between AUD 30-50. The restaurant also has a large terrace, where you can enjoy your meal while overlooking the beautiful old town. Additionally, they have a wine list that features local and regional wines.
- My Wine – Il piacere del palate: Known for its wine selection and its traditional Puglian cuisine. The atmosphere is casual and welcoming, with a rustic and cozy interior. The menu features a variety of local dishes, including pasta dishes, seafood, and meats, that are all paired with a selection of local wines. The staff are knowledgeable and friendly, they can help you to choose the right wine to pair with your meal. The wine bar also has a small terrace, where you can enjoy your meal or a glass of wine while overlooking the beautiful old town. They also offer gluten free dishes.
- The King, Street Food: Looking for a casual and cozy spot to indulge in traditional Puglian cuisine? Look no further than The King, located in the heart of Monopoli. This small eatery offers a wide range of hearty dishes, all made with fresh, locally sourced ingredients. Pair your meal with a glass of wine or beer, and enjoy the laid-back atmosphere. Whether you’re in the mood for a well-cooked monkfish, a delicious pizza, a satisfying sandwich, or a decadent cheesecake, The King Street Food has something for everyone. In the summer season, the restaurant also boasts a charming outdoor area where you can relax and take in the ambiance of Monopoli.