Getting the most out of your Staycation
It’s fun, cheap and hassle-free. It won’t take much effort to plan, and all you need is right where you are. Yes, we are referring to the ‘Staycation’ – a vacation in your home.
We know you are all doing the right thing to help the community, so now it’s time for us to help you think about how you can get the most out of your Staycation.
Create a new space
Maybe you have had a project or revamp on your mind for a while and haven’t had a chance to do it… the time is now! Walk around your home and think about each living space and how it serves you. Can you rearrange furniture items? Is it time to clear out some clothes? Really channel your inner Marie Kondo here and think about the essentials. Creating a new rhythm and flow to your home can really give you a refreshing space to live in and leave you with a great sense of achievement.
Enliven the atmosphere
It’s amazing how much our senses really channel into our surroundings. Changing these things up can have a huge impact on the space we’re living. By altering something small, we can create a whole new environment and start to get on that holiday frequency.
Firstly, think about the feeling you are trying to create. Is it a beachside holiday? Or perhaps a quaint B&B cottage type feel?
The best way to recreate these atmospheres is through smell and sound. A Hawaiian holiday might smell like orchids, vanilla and coffee. While a country B&B weekend gives off the scent of spring flowers and fresh air. Essential oils can also be used to help you channel different energies throughout the day. Bright and summery scents will be better for focusing on work (think orange, lemon and mandarin) and others can give you a sense of calm and soothing, such as lavender, chamomile and bergamot.
Sound can also play a huge role in creating the right holiday atmosphere. So often we are tempted to fill our spaces with white noise – the TV or radio in the background – but ask yourself if that’s what you would do if you were on holiday? Try being intentional about the noise around you, perhaps choose a calming soundtrack, some beach or nature noises, or maybe even silence can enhance your environment during this stressful time.
Holiday activities, at home
While you might not be able to get out and about, there are plenty of things you can do on your staycation that will enable you to channel that holiday vibe.
- Dine locally and support businesses in your that are still operating by doing food delivery services. You might stumble upon something new and be able to continue to support them as they get back on their feet.
- If it’s a sunny day outside you could make yourself a cocktail, pull out your beach towel and relax in your backyard (don’t forget to apply sunscreen)
- Pull out that book you’ve been wanting to read. Perhaps a hammock and cup of tea might do the trick too!
- Engage in some online lessons: so many businesses are now offering free online classes. Relax with some yoga (try alo moves) or perhaps join in a cooking class (Michelin star chef Massimo Bottura is hosting a series of Kitchen Quarantine classes free on Instagram).
- Have fun and get the whole household involved. Perhaps create a weekly theme where you can dress, cook and play music to suit. Perhaps Mexican with some delicious themed food, bright coloured clothing, and Latin music – you could even try your skills at learning to salsa. Or maybe a bake-off with some friends online.
Relive past getaways
You know that last holiday you went on? You probably took copious amounts of photos and videos that are sitting on your phone, computer or memory card. Well, now is a great time to go through them.
Organise some of your best memories (perhaps you and your partner/roommate/friends could do the same) and go through some of the amazing experiences with your loved ones. You can put together a slide show and share your trip (even over an online platform) and remember some of the fantastic times you have had.
Go one step further and create a virtual photo album. There are many online businesses that allow you to upload and arrange your images. Fully customise the album and get it printed and delivered so you have all your snaps in one spot (we recommend Blurb).
Get inspired for your next trip!
After being stuck indoors maybe the first thing you will want to do (when it is safe to do so) is get out and about. Now is the perfect time to do some detailed research on the places you want to visit. Check out our blogs page for a variety of articles, tips and local insights around Europe to help you plan your next holiday.
The number one rule of Staycation is that there are no rules. So, say goodbye to jet lag, packing, long drives and waits at the airport and embrace your Staycation. We’ll see you on the other side!